James M. Bartlett, 1880
Our brothers careers have been productive, constructive, spirited, and prosaic. They displayed impressive skills, talents, and abilities They were, and we continue to be, a beautiful and lively expression of our enduring fraternal beliefs, and that underlying harmony is far-reaching in expectation for all brothers’, undergraduate and graduate. It is the core of what our fraternal founders asserted in 1848 and 1874 and 1899: to live active, commendable, and responsible lives, and to build up community. Clearly and compellingly, they added, and continue to add, positive value at the local, state, national, global, and fraternal level because they engaged life fully and responsibly. In short, they were authoritative pillars throughout life. They were-are exemplary in their citizenship, character, and their sense of dutiful responsibility, and, in many instances, they were leading voices in their career fields. They prove that success of any kind does not occur by luck or accident, and we remember them because they continue to provide that message for our time. Their spirit permeates our brotherhood, and it always will.
We have long been, from one generation to the next, proud to be Omega Mu Fijis. We continue to cherish our fraternal friendships, our shared memories, and our evolving, forward-focused history at the University of Maine. These things, above and beyond everything else, are the underlying rooted connections that make us proud to be Omega Mu Fijis. Why, after all, should we believe otherwise? We have always exhibited a can-do fraternal spirit since 1874. And, to be sure, all present and future generations of Omega Mu Fijis will continue to do the same, with fraternal enthusiasm and commitment. As a brotherhood, we always see the path behind us and the way forward with equal clarity, and our future remains bright at 79 College Avenue because we fearlessly move forward, always guided by sound fraternal principles, and because of that we are an exceptional brotherhood because we remain committed and hardworking to assure that our Omega Mu brotherhood will continue to be the jewel at the University of Maine. Perge.
Omega Mu Portrait
James M. Bartlett,
Q. T. V. Years
Maine State College Campus, circa 1876-1888
The Q. T. V. chapter was installed on February 28th, 1874, and in 1876 the Q. T. V. brothers paid for and built the first fraternity house, on the present site of Coburn Hall,
at the University of Maine.
K. W. Brown is the son of Albert H. Brown, Q. T. V. - Phi Gamma Delta brother, 1880.
Albert H. Brown, 188o
"The entire expense of its erection was borne by the members and this demanded considerable self-sacrifice and loyalty. As this was the first fraternity chapter house built in the State, it surely must have been a building to be proud of."
"This was a two-story frame building with a society rooms on the second floor, and a room on the first floor used as a college recitation room. The Granite step of this building is now in use at the street car stop in front of the Phi Gamma Delta house."
The trolley stop in front of the first Phi Gamma Delta house.
Q. T. V. brothers in front of the house in 1880.
Q. T. V. Reunion
After several years of teaching, James Bartlett attended Cornell University to do graduate work, and then he returned to Maine to pursue a graduate degree in chemistry.
James Bartlett earned his Master's degree in chemistry, at the University of Maine, in 1883.
James Bartlett was an assistant chemist at the Agricultural College of Pennsylvania
1895 University of Maine Faculty
1901 University of Maine Faculty
Our Omega Mu Brothers in this photo are George H. Hamlin, Walter Flint, James M. Bartlett,
James N. Hart, Freemont L. Russell, Horace M. Estabrooke, Howard S. Webb,
Perley F. Walker, and Allen E. Rogers.
James Bartlett returned to the University of Maine in 1885, and he worked in the Experiment Station, later
Holmes Hall, for fifty years.
The Experiment Stations is the second building from the right, and the third building is the second Q. T. V. Chapter Hall.
The Experiment Station is on the right, and the recently built second Q. T. V. Chapter Hall is on the left, 1885-1886.
The second Q. T. V. Chapter Hall is first on the left, and the Experiment Station is the second building on the left.
The second Q. T. V. Chapter Hall is the white building on the right, directly behind Coburn Hall, the site where it was originally built in 1876.
1891 campus map of Coburn Hall, #9; the second Q. T. V. Chapter, #10; and
the Experiment Station, # 11.
Honorary Doctor of Science
"You have by your integrity, fidelity, and personality won the respect and love of your associates."
"As a loyal son of the State of Maine."
5o Years of Service To The
University of Maine
"Dr. Bartlett has worked quietly in his corner of the laboratory, surrounded with test tubes, retorts, burners, scales, and such other equipment as he has occasion to use. he has made few speeches but rather, while others have expounded, has worked honestly and painstakingly in his quiet manner for the of
the State and University."
“What if the space be long and wide,
That parts us from our brother’s side
A soul-joined chain unites our band,
And memory links us hand in hand.”
(Phi Gamma Delta fraternity song)
Chip Chapman, ’82
Leave a Reply.