“In 1924 a marble and bronze exhibit case known as the Shrine, designed by architect Francis Bacon, was installed on the west side of the second floor gallery in the Great Hall. There the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States were displayed until 1952 when the documents were transferred to the National Archives. As part of the restoration that began in 1986, the empty Shrine was removed from the Great Hall and placed into storage.”
Oliver Crosby, 1876
C.E.O. of the American Hoist and Derrick Company in St. Paul, Minnesota.
His company provided machinery for the construction of the Panama Canal.
Samuel Wadsworth Gould, 1877
Representative from Maine in Congress from 1911 - 1913.
President of the board of trustees at the University of Maine.
Charles W. Mullen, 1883
Founded Great Northern Paper company.
Mayor of Bangor, Maine.
Edwin F. Ladd, 1884
Senator from North Dakota
Administrator of the North Dakota pure-food laws.
Chairman of the Committee on Public Roads and Surveys during the Sixty-eight Congress.
Member of the United States Food Commission in 1917.